Buying a house in the Netherlands
Are you considering buying a house in the Netherlands? Not only is it a great place to live, but it’s also a smart investment compared to renting. With average home prices showing an upward trend and mortgage rates remaining low, now is a great time to take the plunge and become a homeowner.
Some reasons to consider buying a house:
- Even though the housing market has cooled down, on a historical basis average home prices show an upward trend
- Mortgage rates have risen this year, but we are still far from the levels of the 1980s. Back then we were dealing with an interest rate of 12%!
- The mortgage interest you pay is tax deductable
- Paying off the mortgage contributes to capital creation
- Do you decide at some point to leave the Netherlands? You then have the opportunity to rent out your home here and generate extra income
- As a homeowner, you are completely free to furnish and renovate your house to way you like. As a renter you have some restrictions there
- You have the opportunity to make your home more sustainable. By doing so, you can save on your energy expenses
Read more about what you can expect when buying a house in the Netherlands below.
Discover our expat mortgage service
We can offer you a very comprehensive tailored expat mortgage service. It will help you to buy you property easier en faster. Download the information sheet to learn more.
Steps to take buying a house
With our expert guidance, buying a house in the Netherlands has never been easier. Here’s what you can expect:
Step 1: explore possibilities for mortgage
Start with a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our mortgage consultants. During this meeting, we’ll get to know you and your goals and help determine the budget for which you can and want to buy a house.
Step 2: house hunting
With your budget in mind, it’s time to start your house hunt. We recommend using the website www.funda.nl, which lists almost all homes for sale. When you find a house you want to view, we can make an appointment with the real estate agent for you.
Step 3: making an offer
Once you’ve found the perfect home, it’s time to make an offer. We can assist you with the process and make sure your offer stands out among the competition.
Step 4: signing the purchase contract
If your offer is accepted, a purchase contract will be drawn up. We’ll explain the sales contract and answer any questions you have. Plus, we have a network of home inspectors who can perform the home inspection for you.
Step 5: home valuation and mortgage advice
To ensure you don’t borrow more than the house is worth, we’ll arrange for the house to be appraised by an appraiser. This report is needed to apply for your mortgage, and we’ll be there to guide you through the process.
Step 6: mortgage assessment
We understand that your time is valuable, that’s why once you have provided all the necessary documents for your mortgage application, our team will work swiftly to assess it. Typically, the assessment process takes between 3 and 10 working days, so you can move on to the next step in no time.
Step 7: notary appointment
With your mortgage application approved, it’s time to finalize the purchase of your dream home. We’ll schedule a final inspection of the property, and then it’s on to the notary where you’ll sign the title and mortgage deeds. The seller will hand over the keys, and just like that, you’ll officially be the proud owner of your new home.
Tip: When you arrange your mortgage through our office, we offer the added convenience of selecting a notary for you – and at no extra cost. Plus, we’ll be by your side during the appointment to answer any questions you may have.
A summary of the costs
When you decide to purchase a home in the Netherlands, you’ll encounter a range of additional costs, which are in addition to the purchase price. However, the benefits of owning a home far outweigh any additional costs you may incur. Here’s a breakdown of what to expect:
- Transfer Tax: At just 2% of the purchase price, this is a small price to pay for the joys of homeownership. Plus, if you’re under 35 and buying your first home, homes worth €440.000 or less are exempt from transfer tax.
- Notary Fees: On average, you can expect to pay between €1.000 and €2.000 for notary fees.
- Home Valuation: This service typically costs between €500 and €1.000, and is a necessary step in the mortgage application process.
- Building Inspection: This optional service typically costs between €300 and €500, and gives you peace of mind that your new home is in great condition.
- Our Expat Mortgage Service: Our expert team will guide you through the mortgage process, and this service costs just €2.950.
- Nationale Hypotheek Garantie (NHG): This safety net is available for homes worth €405.000 or less, and costs just 0,6% of the loan amount. Not only does it provide security, but it also provides a discount on your mortgage interest rate.
- Bank Guarantee: If you prefer not to make a deposit, you can provide a bank guarantee, which typically costs 1% of the deposit amount.
- Purchase Agent: If you prefer to work with a professional, purchase agent services typically cost between €3.000 and €5.000.
Tax Deductions: Many of the costs associated with purchasing a home, including notary fees, appraisal costs, NHG, mortgage advice, and bank guarantee, can be deducted from your income tax.
Don’t let the thought of additional costs hold you back from owning your dream home in the Netherlands. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help make your homeownership journey a reality.
Our clients choose us for:
- Customized and all-inclusive assistance
We understand that every expat’s situation is unique, that’s why we offer a tailored and comprehensive assistance that addresses all your needs from the beginning to the end.
- Full-service support
Whether you need help getting familiar with the process or assistance at the notary, we’re here to guide you every step of the way.
- Efficient communication with expat-friendly banks
We have established relationships with banks that understand the needs of expats and are committed to providing exceptional service.
- Flexible scheduling
We understand that expats have busy schedules, that’s why we offer flexible office hours to accommodate your needs.
- Transparent and fair pricing
We believe in being upfront about our fees and providing a fair flat fee for our services.
- Direct client communication
We value open communication and will keep you informed every step of the way. We’ll be in direct contact with you to discuss bidding and any other concerns you may have.
- Coordination with real estate agents
We understand the importance of a smooth transaction and will work closely with your real estate agent to ensure everything runs smoothly.
- Building Inspection, valuation and notary
We go the extra mile and take care of all the necessary inspections and appointments, including arranging a building inspection, property valuation and notary appointment.
Expert Expat Mortgages Service – Schedule Your Consultation Today”
Ready to take the next step and learn more about our expert expat mortgages service? Looking to schedule a consultation? Our team is here to help! Don’t hesitate to contact us for more information or to schedule your appointment today.
- Mortgages for expats in the Netherlands
- Our expat mortgage service
- How we work
- Mortgages types
- Expat mortgage capacity
Do you have any questions?
Don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any questions you may have about mortgages for expats or buying a house in the Netherlands as an expat. You can contact us via our online form or reach out to David or Erik directly via Whatsapp, either way we are here to help you and answer your question as soon as possible.
Our clients choose us for: